1748Hrs- Max Headroom
Well the starboard cabin top came off the mould relatively OK with the exception of one temporary screw that I’d left in place causing me to wonder why it wasn’t budging! But that aside it came away cleanly and after a bit of tidying up round the edges I’m really pleased with the result. My next task was to get it up onto the hull and somewhere in position so that I could start experimenting with the height. Looking around for suitable timber it dawned on me that the offcuts of timber from the mould bearers were of course already cut to the right radius to take the cabin top so it was an easy job to screw these to some additional battens long enough to straddle the cabin and allow me to drop the cabin top in place. The Mk1 version didn’t work too well as they were very unstable and tipped over if I moved the cabin top forward or backwards at all so I added a wide strip of ply to the bottom of each and they then worked perfectly. I spent some time playing with different heights, testing inside and viewing from outside. The objective being to find heights that make the cabin comfortable for me and slightly taller visitors whilst still looking ‘right’ outside.
Now I know I’m straying into contentious territory here because I’ve seen lots of example of ‘modified’ Wharrams with raised/extended cabin sides and tops and whilst I totally respect each individual builders decision to do what’s right for them, many of these modification, to my eye at least, ruin the beautiful lines of the boat. Actually it’s far easier for me because I’m ‘lucky’ enough to stand a towering 5’6″ and I guess if I was a foot taller I would probably have a different view, in any case I spent 2 years living on a boat with no standing headroom at all so ‘Gleda’ is streets ahead anyway!
Anyway I think I’ve found the right heights for me but I’m going to sleep on it and have another look with fresh eyes tomorrow. To finish off todays session I started work on the portside cabin top. As usual things moved along far quicker as I already knew what I needed to do and what the measurements all were although I did need to keep reminding myself that the companionway cutout needed to be on the other side! The timber I used for the transverse strengtheners seemed reluctant to bend today and I broke one piece trying but with some additional screws and some added weight I got them there.