1743Hrs- Starboard Cabin Top Nearly Done
As planned I cracked on today and got the last sheet of 4mm glued to the starboard cabin top. This involved sanding back the polystyrene and excess glue (lovely messy job), and then applying plenty of epoxy glue mix before positioning the 4mm plywood sheet and weighting it. I also cut away the first sheet of ply over the companionway so that it will be easier to cut later.
Thanks to Scott for his comment about my hatch design the other night. Apologies are due to Mr Wharram because apparently the design is his and is shown on the plans for the Tiki 30, I didn’t know that. He also said that the design is used by David Halladay (Boatsmith) on his professionally built Tiki 8m. I greatly admire Davids work so the fact he is using this design makes me doubly confident that I’ve chosen well.
I think I forgot to mention that I’ve made my companionway opening about 150mm (6″) wider than that shown on the plans. Final adjustment will be made with the addition of the finishing hardwood but I just felt that the standard size was a little on the narrow side for what is, after all, the only access to and from the cabins.