1727Hrs – A Measured Approach
I’m very pleased to say that my business venture is beginning to gain some momentum but as a consequence build time is being squeezed yet again. I’ve learned not to get too stressed though as I now consider my business activities to be as much a part of the project as the actual building. This is a concept that’s taken some time to get to grips with after so many years of treating work as a hindrance! I’m finalising plans to bring the two things together on the web as well. I’ve had a coupe of false starts with ‘Affiliate Afloat’ and ‘Dream To Sail’ but I’m going to make it third time lucky and hopefully find a way of passing on my experiences of the project as a whole to those that are interested without detracting from the build journal itself. Watch this space.
Actually today was a bit of a struggle as I felt distinctly under the weather as I was suffering with a thick head and a lack of energy and no, I hadn’t been drinking! In hindsight it was probably not the best thing to set myself the task of getting my head round the construction of the cabin tops but I did OK. I’d already decided that I wasn’t going to make the same mistake I made with the tumblehomes i.e. try and fit the sides before their was really anything to fit them to, namely the cabin roof section. This time I’m going to make the curved cabin tops first so that I can get them in position, adjust the heights to suit (as Jacques mentioned a few weeks ago he lowered the tops slightly as he didn’t need the headroom) and then make the cabin sides to fit. That said I made a hardboard template of the cabin front section just to get a feel for things and to allow me to test the radius measurements for the cabin tops. The plans call for a curve based on a radius of 2 metres which allows the tops to overhang the cabin sides all round. I used my template to reposition and fix the timbers to the barn floor that will support the new mould I need to make.
I’m quite excited to be moving to this new phase after spending so much time working on those piggin tumblehomes. I’m going to try and squeeze as much build time in as I can these next few months because the weather is already beginning to turn and I’m determined to get these hulls enclosed before Autumn sets in.