1681Hrs- Worn Out
I put in a 7 hour day today and feel like I made some really good progress but I’m worn out tonight, as is my belt sander which finally gave up the ghost today after many many hours of use. It’s an indication of the scale of work involved with a project like this that you wear out decent power tools before it’s finished. It has to be excepted though and I’ll be shopping for a new one tonight.
Before the belt sander gave up I managed to get most of the glued tumblehomes on the starboard hull sanded smooth and I was able to finish the rest with the orbital sander so I now have a nice set of well fitted smooth tumblehomes to admire. They’re much appreciated after all the trouble they caused. I then carried on with the orbital sander and got the cabin roof sanded back before applying the second coat of epoxy. As my mind wandered whilst rollering it on I wondered how many nights I’ll spend lying in the bunk looking up at it!
Once this was out of the way I turned my attention to the port hull, and, having learned my lesson on the starboard hull, the first thing I did was to remove the tumblehomes so that I could concentrate on getting the cabin roof sections perfectly in position. As I discovered before, it’s far easier to fit the tumblehomes when you have something to fit to! After a little bit of trimming to get the forward and aft sections sitting nicely onto the bulkheads I set about using scrap timber to support the sections in the right positions to allow me to construct the connecting sides in situ. I took my time, checking with the levels and am now happy I’m ready to go with the side decks next time.