1522Hr- Not Good
I’m getting stressed. I’m simply not getting enough build time in and it’s mainly due to the hours and demands of my full time job and the knock on effect of fatigue associated with long working hours. If I gave up my little remaining rest and relaxation it would damage my personal life and ultimately result in burn out. What’s the solution? Well I can’t see one at the moment. It’s a catch 22, I need to put the hours in to get the money needed to continue living and building the boat. I have some ideas that could make things easier but they are long term and also demand that time is spent on them. I feel stretched thin, trying to do it all and not making much headway with any of it. So what do I do? I don’t see any choice but to throttle back on the boat and to invest more time in changing the situation. If I continue as I am it will take another 4 or 5 years to finish Gleda and I can’t live with that. This means that I will have to sacrifice my evening sessions at the barn, as it is I usually only manage one or two hours anyway and if I’ve made the decision then I won’t beat myself up about it when I get home late, I’ll just sit down at my desk and work on Plan B. If I do this for a few months then I’ll have lost about 48 hours of build time but I should be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It’s a shame that they are valuable Summer hours but the timing is out of my hands it’s just something I have to do to safeguard the project as a whole.
Given that I had all these thoughts buzzing round my head you can imagine how much I wanted to make today’s eight hour building session productive. You can equally imagine therefore how annoyed I was that at the end of it I was further back than when I started! In a nutshell I’ve made a balls up of the tumble homes. I was far too keen to get them fitted and trimmed and it wasn’t very long after staring to make what I thought were final adjustments that I realised it. As I’ve mentioned before, there are no dimensions given for these panels in the plans and the drawings have scant detail. I’d quite happily done what I’ve previously done when cutting panels i.e dropped on a long batten and ‘faired’ it by eye. What I missed this time however was the now obvious fact that the tops of these tumble home panels have to be level fore and aft and athwart ships so that the pre-fabricated curved sandwich deck panels drop on nicely. Because I had followed the hull lines I reckon 8 out of my 12 panels will have to be re-made. A huge waste of time and a pricey waste of ply. I would advise anyone following in my footsteps to use hardboard templates! Anyway after discovering my error I spent hours measuring and using the water and laser levels to get what was needed clear in my head. I’m still not sure I have it nailed but I’ll get there. I suppose I’ve been lucky to get this far in without any serious mistakes and at least I spotted it before it affected anything else. Like I said at the beginning…….stressed!