1501Hrs- Open & Shut
I had a really good work session tonight, one of those where the time flies by and progress seems to come easily. After cleaning up the excess epoxy from the hatch frame I made last night I marked and cut the radii on the corners, made a few adjustments and then checked that the hatch fitted into it nicely. That done I used the frame to mark the position on the aft starboard deck. I took lots of time to check measure several times before marking and plucking up the courage to take a saw to my lovely new deck! I cut well inside the marked line so it took a while with the sander, checking the fit frequently, before the frame could be gently tapped into place. Then using the spirit level I tapped it level and dropped the hatch into place. I’m really pleased with it and I can now start fixing the frame properly and adding a few extra deck supports to ensure that everything is strong. Final fixing of the hatch and fitting a hardwood surround can come much later. I want to give some more thought to the hatch orientation i.e which way it opens. I’m inclined to have the hinges on the aft side so that the hatch opening faces the beam trough but I’m also considering having the hinges on the outboard side so that the opening faces the deck. Anyway plenty of time yet to ponder that one.