1270Hrs- Rudder Mounts
After removing the peel ply this morning I only needed to run the surform over a few lumps and bumps to be satisfied with the stem and stern shaping I did yesterday. My thoughts then turned to the remaining jobs on the outsides of the hulls. There was really only one…. the last four remaining rudder mounts. To be honest I’d been trying to put these off because anything that involves cutting chunks out of, and drilling holes through, my boat leaves me a little jittery. Anyway there was no avoiding it so I dug out the plans, checked the measurements and set too. As before I used the router to cut out the bulk of the timber but this time instead of using hammer and chisel to finish them off I put the Fein Multimaster to work and found that the small cutting blade made easy work of finishing the rebates accurately. Again, as before I then marked the hole positions and drilled them oversize (10mm) so that they could be filled with epoxy before re-drilling at the correct (7mm) diameter. The plan is that this will reduce the risk of water creeping into the ply and causing rot. It should be less of a problem with these four however as two of them are well clear of the water and the other two should only be submerged occasionally. Rather than inject them with neat epoxy as before I made up a thickened mix and forced this through the holes until it oozed out the other side. I think this will provide the extra protection I am looking for.