1220Hrs- Chine Solution
I was up early this morning, sitting at the computer updating my CV and sending texts and e-mails to friends and colleagues. I have applied for one vacancy and am optimistic that I will at least get an interview. Its been nice to get calls today not only expressing sympathy but giving giving me some useful info and help. I’m very appreciative and fully intend to follow these leads up. By early this afternoon however I was feeling a bit stressed so it was off up the barn for some boat building relaxation. I got straight into sanding back the epoxy filled screw holes but after a while I got a bit fed up with this and turned my mind to the problem of eliminating the chine step I showed a few days ago. I had initially thought about a decent width (maybe 150mm/6″) of timber simply cut or planed at an angle from the full stringer + upper hull side panel thickness (30mm/1 1/4″) down to nothing. I quickly realised however that a piece of timber this size and thickness would be difficult if not impossible to bend around the curvature of the hull. I then looked at my stock of long length 20mm x 32mm Douglas Fir and started playing with that. I was able to set my circular saw up to rip it down to a nice chamfer 20mm to 2mm. Fitted under the chine and with the edge of the 9mm upper hull side panel planed at an angle to suit this fits in really nicely. With pilot holes pre-drilled through the strip at an angle I can use thin screws to temporarily pull it in tight to the hull whilst the epoxy goes off and then the whole lot can be smoothed and epoxy filled. I think it will work really nicely so I now have a job I can get my teeth into over the next week.
Good luck to Chris in South Africa (I have fond memories of Durban) who posted the comment about his forthcoming Tiki 38 build. He asked what propulsion systems I’m considering. Well at the moment I’m researching the electric options. Its really early days but I love the idea of this quiet, low maintenance, eco friendly option. There are question marks about reliability however and they are very expensive. I love the idea of not having an engine at all but I think the risk of damaging the boat (or others) when manouvering singlhanded are too high. One thing I am adamant about however is that all the mechanical and electric systems on Gleda will follow the KISS principal and the boat will be as self sufficient as possible using solar and wind power with a small generator for backup, hence the thoughts on electric propulsion. Whatever I go for it will be deck mounted so that changes or replacements can be made without any major trauma.