1208Hrs- Making Sawdust
I put in a heavy six hour session today, I’ve finished preparing the chines on both hulls ready for the chamfered timber fillet strips. This involved trimming the bottoms of the upper hullside panels flush to the bottom of the stringer, removing any excess blobs and runs of epoxy from when I’d glued the stringers many moons ago and then sanding down the unpainted strip of lower hull below the stringer where the fillet strip will go. Although fairly straightforward it was hard work, all carried out in a kneeling position using the tools at or above head height. That sure gives a full body workout! I then moved into the port hull to trim the tops of the upper hullside panels flush to the tops of the upper stringer. I was back to using the jigsaw today albeit with an added degree of caution!. Talking of which the finger has been ok today except when I accidentally knocked it and remembered how tender it is. Anyway it took some time to trim all the panels, then to follow on with the plane and sander to get a satisfactory finish. I was knackered at the end of it and the barn floor around the hulls is covered in sawdust and ply offcuts. I’m having a day of rest tomorrow then on Monday (as I have no employment) I’ll crack on with the starboard hull before having a big cleanup.
Its amazing how a little trimming and sanding has started to make these part of the boat rather than just bits added on. Even in this still rough finished stage I’m loving the beautiful shapes that are emerging.