1192Hrs- Working At It
An Autumnal day today, frequent showers and a stiff cold breeze. My efforts today focused on the starboard hull bow section. I’d hoped to get the last two panels in place but I’d forgotten how long the additional bow strengthening takes, particularly when the colder temperatures slow down the epoxy curing. I spent a goodly amount of time checking that the stem was plumb before gluing the hefty pieces of oak into place. As before there was also a lot of planing and sanding to be done to make sure that the panels fit nicely at the bow. Having established I could go no further with the bow I turned my attention to sanding all the joints between the upper hullside panels smooth and then started tidying up the chine. The upper panels need trimming and sanding in places to get a nice smooth fit with the lower stringer. It’s my intention to fit a chamfered timber strip underneath the lower stringer to eliminate the step at the chine, There are a number of reasons for this 1) I think it will improve the appearance of the hull 2) It will prevent water slapping up noisily in a disturbed anchorage 3) It should make it easier to apply the glassfibre sheathing.
The photo left clearly shows how severe is chine step is and although the building instructions mention forming an epoxy fillet underneath I think a timber one will be better. By the way thanks to Thomas and Boatsmith for the encouraging comments, yes, this is certainly more fun than building shelves and yes, I have become a slave to the great Goddess Gleda!