1170Hrs- Strong Bow
It’s funny how things not previously though about sometimes suddenly come right into focus. I’d been looking at the stem and thinking that maybe a bit of strengthening wouldn’t go amiss, then Jacques posted his comment suggesting exactly that! Thanks Jacques, that swung it. So, this morning instead of cracking on with glueing the bow panels I turned my thoughts to how I could beef the stem up a bit. I had a decent sized piece of English Oak that, after measuring, seemed just right. Bloody hell it’s tough stuff! I had to cut it at a chamfer and my big circular saw would only cut about a third of the way through so I had to cut from both sides and then finish with the hand saw. That was warm work. Anyway after a lot of cutting and some work with the plane I had some nice solid chafered pieces that I was able to glue in between the stringers. I’ll post some photos tomorrow but I’m really pleased with the result. The stem is now 5″ thick at it’s maximum tapering down to 2″ at the bow and 6″ deep. This work may not be essential but it will give me great confidence to know that the sharp ends are in effect solid oak. I finished off the day prepping the stern panels and stern post on the starboard hull.