1117Hrs – Stern Business
I spent today sorting out the stern bulkheads in both hulls, I confess to not being fully up to par for some reason. I had a headache and found it difficult to concentrate, one of those days where everything seems more difficult than it should be and tools that you put down a few minutes ago seemed to disappear! Anyway I slogged on as I was determined to get the sternmost bulkheads sorted. It seems fairly straightforward on the plans, the upper deck stringer that sits in the notch on the crown of the bulkheads needs to run level from the sternpost to the beam trough side at bulkhead No4, the tops of the bulkheads need to be curved to the correct radius and finish level to the upper stringers on both sides. How hard can that be? Well in the case of my starboard hull quite hard it seems. I spent ages measuring and marking but whichever way I did it I still ended up some 20mm low at the No4 bulkhead, strangely on the port hull everything measured up perfectly. I don’t understand this as the bulkheads were cut and positioned identically for both hulls. Eventually I decided that I was just going to have to live with the discrepancy and make a slight adjustment to the deck curve to allow for it. I’m annoyed for two reasons, one I don’t know why it happened and two I haven’t been able to rectify it. That said I’ve never expected perfection and I guess these things all go to make the boat unique and personal. Ultimately it doesn’t really matter so I’ll move on. I just have the forward bulkheads to check and then I’m ready to start the hullsides.