1106.5Hrs – Making Good
I’ve concentrated on the bulkheads tonight. I took measurements off the plans, checked them on the port hull and marked the differences. I discovered that the only place I was out significantly was the No4 bulkhead and trough, they were some 30mm high. The others are pretty much OK although the curved upper edges are less than fair to each other. When I cut these bulkheads the curves were just created with a bent batten so I guess some variances were inevitable. Looking ahead in the building instructions in the section devoted to the decks and cabin roofs I discovered some dimensions
for the curved mould needed to make these sections. It gave the radii of circles to use; 2.83m for the cabin tops and 2.00m for the decks. Using these figures and a piece of string I drew out some curves on hardboard and then used the larger one as a template to re-mark the top of the No4 bulkheads. I double checked and then cut them. It’s amazing the difference it made. They now look sweet and using my laser plumb I was able to confirm that they lined up level with the others. I will continue this process until I’m happy that all the bulkheads are right. Incidentally our summer has disappeared (actually I’m no sure it ever arrived), We have had 3 days now of heavy downpours, thick cloud and cool temperatures. The barn floor is soaked just like winter.