1104Hrs – Beam Troughs …Done!
Apologies for the lack of posts over the weekend, a combination of lack of time along with host server problems that kept deleting my draft blogs. Due to other commitments I wasn’t able to spend much time on the boat however I did, finally. get the beam troughs finished. The last remaining job was to apply small high strength (high silica content) fillets along the inside edges of all the troughs, an easy job that went well. Afterwards I stated thinking about the next jobs on the list. I am getting close to the next
major stage…fitting the upper hullsides. But before that I need to be sure that I have everything ready. One job I knew needed doing before access became impossible was the fitting of small watertight access hatches in the floors of the forward ‘crashbox’ compartments in the bow. I have a number of these hatches to fit , something I’m doing for two reasons: 1) For peace of mind I don’t want any ‘sealed’ areas that I can’t at least open up and shine a torch in once in a while to check all is well 2) I don’t want any over zealous customs officials cutting holes in my boat because they think I’m smuggling!
I also spent some time looking at the alignment/shapes of the tops of the main bulkheads, obviously these have to be correctly aligned for the cabin tops and decks to go on. Mine aren’t! I think its unavoidable, even if the bulkheads are cut correctly when they are positioned on the stringers and lower bulkheads I don’t see how variances can be avoided. From the measurements I took I think my two main bulkheads are too high. This means I will have to re-cut the tops in-situ. I will make damn sure I’ve got all the measurements right before I do though!