1056Hrs – Beamtroughs Started
After the excitement of yesterday I was keen to get back to some meaningful work today so I set to on construction of the first set of beamtroughs near the stern at bulkhead 6. These troughs will hold the three main beams that keep the hulls together so they are kind of important! I had been warned by the bad experience that Jacques had when he discovered at a late stage of his construction, that his beamtroughs were not square to each other and I was keen to avoid that problem. I have a huge advantage in that my build space is big enough to get both hulls in their proper position and now I have the long aluminium cross beam I can use that to ensure that everything lines up correctly. Before I started I used it at all the main bulkheads and with a few minor adjustments soon had the hulls exactly square to each other. I then moved back to the No6 troughs and started cutting and dry fitting them together. The inside faces have to be fireglassed to give extra wear resistance and, as I mentioned before the beamtrough floor has to be cambered to facilitate water drainage. It was quite time consuming but I got both cambered floors finished and everything prepped for the glassing. The photos show the crossbeam being used to check for square.