1023Hrs – Mast Beam Knees Assembled
The glassing I did the other night turned out fine so after cleaning up the ragged edges and sanding the faces to be glued, I mixed up some epoxy and set to getting everything glued together. I took my time so as to make sure that everything lined up squarely and then put in some screws to keep everything in place.
When I fix these sections into position( one on the inboard side of each hull), their function should become clearer but in the photo left you can clearly see the glassed boxes into which a short crossbeam fits which takes the weight of the aftmost mast.
After I’d finished I started on the first of the main beam troughs. I can see that these are going to take quite a lot of work, there are bearers that need a camber planed onto them ( to allow water to drain away easily), plenty of gluing, some sizeable areas to glass and plenty of measurements and checking to do. I’m looking forward to this challenging stage though because it really is staring to put some real substance into the boat.